Error: server does not support requested critical extension
Nigel Archer
2007-07-06 08:26:01 UTC
We have a production environment building Windows 2003 Server Sp1 into an
enterprise active directory. Occassionally this week a ADSI, C++, COM object
has been doing it's usual search for the server object in the AD and
sometimes it is now returning this LDAP error
(Error_DS_unavailable_Crit_Extension 8236). We are not sorting on
distinguished name and we do have servers running the same code in the same
environment that don't have this error. It will also sometimes work on the
same server if it is run again. So it looks like an environment\connectivity
issue but we don't know what is causing it.
The query is:
(&(objectClass=*)(objectCategory=computer)(dNSHostName=server.domain.net)(frsComputerReferenceBL=*)(operatingSystem=*Server*))

Any ideas?

TIA
Nigel
Prahalad Deshpande
2007-07-10 05:36:01 UTC
Hi Nigel,

I am also dealing with a similar issue. However here I found some Microsoft
KB article that says that the error is a issue with Microsoft products.

The KB article can be found at :

http://support.microsoft.com/kbid=842637
Hi,
Nigel